Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Guildford Castle

          Part of me wanted to achieve something before hitting the BIG 3.0. This could be childish, shallow, or whatever you may think of it, but I'm aiming to visit 30 castles all around the UK and I only got 6 months to achieve that! One of the castles that I've visited recently was Guildford Castle, the only royal castle ever to be built in Surrey.
 photo IMG_2854_zpscaojh8bi.jpg
     In celebration of the 150th year of Alice in Wonderland, the castle grounds were transformed by getting inspiration from the book itself. My favourite would be the gorgeous flower garden, and even convinced hubby to stay there for a while just to enjoy the view.
 photo IMG_2753_zpsrqlewerc.jpg
 photo IMG_2759_zpsabe71omf.jpg
          Here's a little trivia for you... Does the name Charles Lutwidge Dodgson ring a bell? When this man went to Guildford looking for a house for his 6 unmarried sisters, none of the people he met recognized him as the author of "Alice in Wonderland", which was written under the name Lewis Carroll. Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll, was regularly visiting Guildford, and has written the 2nd Alice book, "Through The Looking Glass", during his stay in town.      
 photo IMG_2762_zpsg369aorc.jpg
          I really have to mention that you should try the food at The March Hare, restaurant / pub located right outside the castle. Servings in pubs are generally massive so I ordered the children's size meal. Probably the best salmon and mashed potato I've ever tasted so far.
          I'm off to another castle this weekend and can't wait to see what it is like. Can you guess where I'm heading to next?

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a great goal and a beautiful castle! I have yet to visit the UK and cannot wait until the day I do. I don't have a clue which one you'll be going to but I'm sure it'll be gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! Let me know if you happen to visit. Would be glad to meet up x

      Delete

... Love to know what you think =) ...